How to Setup a Custom Domain in Blogger with Godaddy.com
Learn how to add or setup a Custom Domain in Blogger and how to add CNAME and A-Records to your GoDaddy.com Account to make the domain active.
By default, your blog will be hosted on blogspot.com (example.blogspot.com).
But if you wish you can setup or host a custom domain (www.example.com or sub.example.com) with your Blogger Blog. Follow the steps below
Step #1: Purchase a Custom Domain
Before you move your blog to a custom domain, you have to purchase a domain name from the companies like GoDaddy.com, EasyDNS.com or others. Or if you’ve already purchased a domain, you can setup the domain with your blog.
Step #2: Setup your Custom Domain
If you’ve purchased a domain from GoDaddy.com, then setup the domain with your blog following the steps below
#1: Add the Domain Name to your Blog
- Sign in to Blogger with your Google Account.
- In the left menu, click Settings > Basic.
- In the “Publishing” section, click + Setup a 3rd party URL for your blog.
- Type the url of the domain, including www (e.g. www.example.com).
- Click Save.
An error will appear with two CNAMEs. The first CNAME is the same for everyone and the second CNAME is particular to your blog.
#2: Add CNAME and A-Records to your GoDaddy Account
- Now, sign in to your GoDaddy.com account. Make sure you are on My Products page (https://mya.godaddy.com).
- Click DOMAINS . A list of all domains will appear.
- Click Manage DNS of the domain you want to add to your blog.
- Make sure the domain is using default nameservers, otherwise you will not able to add CNAME and other records.
- You probably will see a CNAME with www as host and @ as points to already exists in the zone. To enter the first CNAME, you have to edit this record —
- Click Edit .
- Enter ghs.google.com in the Points to field.
- Click Save.
- To enter the second CNAME, you have to add a new record. In the Records table, click ADD.
- Type: CNAME.
- Host: hqzzzn56a3ri (as an example).
- Points to: gv-oc7x5vzzzqxirt.dv.googlehosted.com (as an example).
- Click Save.
- Now add four separate A-records one-by-one pointing to four different Google IPs.
- To add an A-record, click ADD again, then fill in the fields as the image below —
#3: Save your Custom domain on Blogger
Now back to your Blogger Dashboard and try to Save your custom domain once again. If all CNAME and A-Records are correctly entered in your GoDaddy DNS Manager, this time it should be saved successfully.
#4: Redirect non www Visitors to www
If visitors visit your site without www (example.com), they might see a wrong page. To fix this problem, you have to redirect example.com to www.example.com on your Blogger dashboard.
- Go to Settings > Basic > Blog Address.
- In Blog Address, click Edit.
- Check “Redirect example.com to www.example.com”.